In a study published in Pediatrics 2005 (Nov); a survey of 2070 Swiss doctors reveals an interesting trend. A significant proportion of non-pediatricians often disagreed with policies and made other decisions for their own families. Non-pediatricians were twice as likely as pediatricians to deviate, for their own child, from the recommended schedule. Non-pediatricians were twice as likely as pediatricians to deviate, for their own child, from the recommended schedule. Pediatricians were more likely to give Hib, measles, mumps, and hepatitis B vaccines to their own children than nonpediatrician parents.
Even for pediatricians there was not 100% agreement on the vaccination schedule for children. About 95 percent of pediatricians surveyed agree with vaccination recommendations and would apply them to their own children, This leaves a healthy 5% that do not vaccinate or modify vaccinations for their own children.
The Hib and MMR vaccines were non-favorites of the non-pediatricians.
Their reasons included:
- Declining the use of Hib for a lack of concern about the disease.
- Declining the MMR to avoid combined vaccines because of safety concerns, the preference for infection-driven rather than vaccine-induced immunity.
- The conviction that homeopathic treatment allows a benign outcome of measles, mumps, and rubella.